Writing this post will be extremely hard for me...
It aches my heart to say Ellie is no longer with our family. She was only 7 years old; too young! The doctor diagnosed her with IMHA (Immune Mediated Hemolytic Anemia) back in February. She began treatments and her levels started to improve; all seemed to be heading in a positive direction. Unfortunately, two months later, her body couldn't handle the illness. She was in a great amount of pain. The last couple days of her life were tough. Her hind legs completely gave out and once she stopped eating we knew it was a very bad sign. Matt took her in to the vet that day and he had to face one of the hardest decisions of his life. Knowing the amount of pain she was in we had to help her by putting an end to it. People have tried to console us by saying we helped her and I understand but it still doesn't make it any easier, I'm still heartbroken. You can call me selfish but she was like a child to us. Matt and I bought her a month after we were married, she has been a big part of our lives from the beginning. If any of you have pets I'm sure you can relate to my feelings and emotions right now.
Ellie was beautiful. She was the perfect dog; mellow temperament, loved basketball, gave big kisses when she wanted to, followed us everywhere around the house, snored very loud, loved to lay in the sunshine and loved to go on long walks. She even put up with Ace...he tends to be a bit crazy sometimes. The smallest things around the house remind me of her such as a sock laying on the floor; she loved socks and would try to fit as many as she could into her mouth at once. I think the record was 6. I will hold onto these good memories and the pictures and videos we have of her throughout her life. The good part is that Kensley is too young to understand that Ellie died. I can't imagine seeing my child hurt from a loss. The other good part is Ace seems to be perfectly fine. Occasionally I will catch him sniffing around the house as if looking for her but overall he seems okay. Again, as painful as this is to post, we will continue to cherish the great memories we had with Ellie as a family.
In Memory of Ellie Cova
AKA Buttercup
October 2, 2004 - April 8, 2012
No comments:
Post a Comment