Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Our New Flower Garden



In school Kensley learned about flowers and plants coming from seeds and what it takes to help them grow and bloom.  After those lessons a spark of interest arose in her and she really wanted to plant some.  She and I made a trip to the garden center and I had no idea where to start or what to buy.  I have never planted anything and all of the flowers I did receive, Orchids in particular, unfortunately did not have a very long life due to my inexperience.  So she and I walked up and down the aisles of flowers admiring the pretty colors and different sizes and textures.  The one thing I did know was I wanted to buy perennials instead of annuals which only last one season.  Perennials come back year after year (as long as you handle them correctly).  After she and I walked around for awhile I found a knowledgeable employee to help with the process.  We picked out 2 flowers we loved, picked out some pots, potting soil, miracle grow, and Kensley spotted a cute butterfly garden stick so we had to get it.  The guy explained what we needed to do, answered some of my questions and then we were off on our own; our gardening adventure!  The next day we planted our flowers and afterwards I crossed my fingers hoping I wouldn't kill them.  Kensley absolutely loved our garden day, although initially she was a bit hesitant about getting dirty in the soil.  She quickly got over that though.  We planted them weeks ago and still to this day she loves to check on the flowers every morning and give them water so they continue to grow.  I must also add that thankfully they are still alive and doing well.  The plant in the green pot (bottom step) now has about a dozen beautiful yellow/orange/red flowers.  She had such a great time I think we will continue to add to our little container garden.  



No comments:

Post a Comment